Saturday, September 24, 2011

The ants go marching one by one

I was squatting on the edge of the stream, peering into a pool for a tan flash when I see a frog hopping along the bank and into the water, then another came by, and then a big beetle too. I thought this curious and as I look up to see what’s around me Max tells me to watch out for the ants. I look to my right and about a meter or two away the ground is moving. I quickly hop to a rock in the middle of the water and we watch as a group of army ants marches along the bank. With amazing efficiency they cover every inch. There are scout ants the move ahead of the front line and up the stalks and branches of every plant along the way. Then there is the main mass of marchers that cover the ground from the bank back as far as I could see and is about 3 meters deep. These cover and break apart everything in their path, taking cues from the scouts. We saw them take apart bigger bugs but they can manage frogs all the way up to mice!!!! Then, there are the following trails that clean up what the mass has scavenged and take it back to wherever. Everything in their path was fleeing into the water or the air trying to get out of their way as they marched a path through the jungle. Very Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment